If your employees enjoy high levels of job satisfaction, you’ll have a competitive edge in the market. Retaining employees can help drive down the costs of recruitment and training.
10 Tips on how to make your employees happy without having to offer them more money
- Offer a comfortable working environment and provide the right tools to get the job done.
- Respect the work-life balance. It is important to offer flexible hours (where practical).
- Provide opportunities for advancement so that employees feel they can grow and develop in their jobs.
- Make sure employees are engaged and invested in the company’s success.
- Be transparent. Management need to keep an open channel of communication with employees.
- Listen and learn. Listen to your employees views, this can give insight into their loyalty levels.
- Have a coherent approach to rewards and recognition.
- Don’t stretch your employees too thin and too far. This can be a stressful and unhappy environment.
- Management support matters. Employees value feedback and direction.
- Understand that everyone does not have the same needs and motivations. different personalities, and people in different life stages, wil value different aspects of the workplace environment.
Source: SHEQ Management, Edition: January/February 2016, Anton van Heerden- Managing director of SAGE HR & Payroll.